Monday, July 27, 2009

Instant and Immediate Change Now - YOU have the Power!

Everyone gets chain email every day in their email boxes. You know the kind, that go on about rainbows and fairies and for the most part, I don't even open them. They always ask you to send to 10 of your friends and you'll get some sort of good luck etc...Well one day, my friend sent me this one and something in the title made me want to open this specific one. I didn't open it right away, in fact it was days before I went back to open it. It's called "The Wooden Bowl"

______________________________________________________________________________________

The Wooden Bowl

I guarantee you will remember the tale of the Wooden Bowl tomorrow, a week from now, a month from now,
a year from now.

A frail old man went to live with his son, daughter-in-law, and four-year-old grandson.
The old man's hands trembled, his eyesight was blurred, and his step faltered

The family ate together at the table. But the elderly grandfather's shaky hands and
failing sight made eating difficult. Peas rolled off his spoon onto the floor.
When he grasped the glass, milk spilled on the tablecloth.

The son and daughter-in-law became irritated with the mess.
'We must do something about father,' said the son.
'I've had enough of his spilled milk, noisy eating, and food on the floor.'

So the husband and wife set a small table in the corner.
There, Grandfather ate alone while the rest of the family enjoyed dinner.
Since Grandfather had broken a dish or two, his food was served in a wooden bowl.

When the family glanced in Grandfather's direction, sometimes he had a tear in his eye as he sat alone.
Still, the only words the couple had for him were sharp admonitions when he dropped a fork or spilled food.

The four-year-old watched it all in silence.

One evening before supper, the father noticed his son playing with wood scraps on the floor.
He asked the child sweetly, 'What are you making?' Just as sweetly, the boy responded,
'Oh, I am making a little bowl for you and Mama to eat your food in when I grow up.
' The four-year-old smiled and went back to work.

The words so struck the parents so that they were speechless. Then tears started to stream down their cheeks. Though no word was spoken, both knew what must be done.

That evening the husband took Grandfather's hand and gently led him back to the family table.
For the remainder of his days he ate every meal with the family.. And for some reason,
neither husband nor wife seemed to care any longer when a fork was dropped, milk spilled, or the tablecloth soiled.

On a positive note, I've learned that, no matter what happens, how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow.

I've learned that you can tell a lot about a person by the way he/she handles four things:
a rainy day, the elderly, lost luggage, and tangled Christmas tree lights.

I've learned that making a 'living' is not the same thing as making a 'life..'

I've learned that life sometimes gives you a second chance.

I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands.You nee d to be able to throw something back sometimes.

I've learned that if you pursue happiness, it will elude you
But, if you focus on your family, your friends, the needs of others,
your work and doing the very best you can, happiness will find you

I've learned that whenever I decide something with an open heart, I usually make the right decision.

I've learned that even when I have pains, I don't have to be one.

I've learned that every day, you should reach out and touch someone.

People love that human touch -- holding hands, a warm hug, or just a friendly pat on the back.

I've learned that I still have a lot to learn.

______________________________________________________________________________________


The following night, as usual my husband and I walked our dog Lucy. This particular evening I saw an elderly Asian man, struggling to get out of his wheel chair at the park. Something drew me to see if he needed help. I went to him and asked him in Chinese if he needed assistance. He said no in an abrupt way. I said okay, and went on my way. The next day, I saw him again at the park, and I went and said hello to him again. He was more approachable this time. This continued for the week, every time, our conversation lasting a bit longer and we got to know each other more each time. I told him about my family, and how my mom was also struggling with her walking and that I would bring her next time to meet him. The following day, I brought my mom to meet him. The man in the park then told my mom, how happy he is to see me every day and how he looks forward to our talks. He says that most people just ignore him because he's old and in a wheel chair. He said it touches his heart to know that I took the time everyday to get to know him. He even brought me a bag of plums as a present. My mom then told him that I have a huge heart and that I've always been like that. This was a huge surprise to me, I never knew my mom felt that way about me. This entire process was such a huge awakening to me, because in this moment. I realized that just by my friend sending me that email story - the wooden bowl and by the actions I took by thinking, feeling and doing. Lives were changed - instantly. We do not know the impact we have on others, by what we say, do or feel. But what I do know is that we do have the power to impact lives on such powerful levels.

We are constantly talking about change and how we want to see change in the world and how we are awaiting for a better time and place. The fact of the matter is that YOU are the change you are waiting for in this world. It begins now, with how you think, feel and do. Isn't that exciting and fabulous?

Here's my August challenge to you. Go speak to someone that you wouldn't normally speak with, break out of your comfort zone. Do something nice for someone you don't know and see what happens. It'll fill your soul and make your heart sing and ultimately make this world a better place for all.

1 comment: