Friday, May 21, 2010

One Last Time


I recently bought a beautiful red velvet chaise lounge for my special room that my husband designed for me. Its where I go to meditate, read and just be. I love the space and energy of the room. The only problem is that I have a ginger colored cat of 11 years named Butterscotch aka Butters that also loves my red couch. I would often find him napping on my couch or find little wisps of orange fur indicating Butters was there. This made me very annoyed, so I would shoo Butters off the couch and eventually I had to put a slip cover on the couch to ensure Butters wouldn't sleep there or at least leave little batches of orange hair.

Unfortunately Butters has been missing now for over a week and I don't think he'll be returning home or sleeping on my red couch again. I think he's gone forever and I can't tell you what I would do just to see him sleeping on my couch for one more time. I dedicate this month's blog to Butters, as a way of saying thank you and good bye. Butters was a part of our family.

We all have experiences and things in our lives that we may like, even love such as our families, friends, pets. Sometimes we have things we dislike to do such as dishes, laundry and cleaning windows. The thing is there will always be a last time where it will be your last experience and you won't know when that will be. You can't know, that's not how life works. There is no schedule or crystal ball we can look in to the future to see that final last time.

We all know the quote "Live every day as if it were your last and then some day you'll be right. .." but do we really take that approach? I like to say that I try but I don't always. If you knew that the next time you went to the gym would be the last, would you really moan and groan about having to go? or if you knew the next family reunion that you didn't really want to go to would be the last time you saw your relatives, would you complain about wasting your time? I've been blessed with a beautiful family, including our four legged kind as pets. We've laughed, argued and grown as a family. I would have never thought that I would learn such an important lesson from Butters. Thank you Butters, you will be missed and we love you.

Consider some of the things and experiences that you may like or dislike in your life and then really think of how you would feel if its your very last time. Enjoy all the moments that make up your life.

1 comment:

  1. Dearest Tina and family,
    My heart goes out to you at this time. My Mooshkey was a cat very much like Butters. He still lives in my heart and frequents my dreams. May your journey continue in unexpected ways with your Butters.
    Duanita
    duanita@mentoringstore.ca

    ReplyDelete